I used to be the girl that had to sit on her suitcase in order to stuff it closed with all her might... packing everything under the sun (I carried a tutu in my suitcase when I was modeling in Europe just because I liked to wear it around the house, and in case, maybe one day I became a ballerina? lol) I always packed several hats, shoes, purses, and wild vintage dresses my grandmother passed down to me because... you never know when you might need them?
As much as I love fashion and having several options of outfits, the stress of lugging it all around is simply not worth it. After much practice I have learned that traveling with essentials is much easier physically, and mentally!
Here is what I try to adhere to:
- 1 book, 1 notebook, 1 electronic device (either iPad or Laptop, not both).
- 1-2 items of each staple piece (t-shirts, sweaters, etc) in neutral colors that will go with anything.
- 1-2 fun printed or vintage pieces to mix in with the basics and liven things up!
- I usually try to pack only 3-4 pairs of pants even if I'm packing for a month.
- Accessories: a scarf, belt, and sunnies and jewelry are a beautiful (light-weight in the carry-on ;) way to express your personal style with your practical basic pieces.
- Leave space in suitcase for a couple new items that you might want to purchase while traveling.
I also LOVE to let the new destination I'm traveling to inspire my fashion sensibilities when packing. The differen't climate, colors of the city buildings, elements of nature, culture, and history are all things I like to take into consideration. I love the idea that each new place you land at you can be a different version of yourself and embrace all the little or big changes of your new environment.
Same goes for toiletries... Only bring the beauty/wellness products you use on a daily basis. Or if you are a product lover and have waaay too many at home, try to simplify your regime when you go away. Less maintenance will free up more time to explore and experience!